Monday, January 31, 2011

Urban Kingfisher


I was in a hurry to get to Auckland via the Devonport ferry to catch the Motuihe Island ferry from the Auckland Town Quay.

While cutting through the park I heard a familiar sound of kingfisher young. I know that sound because I have been watching a kingfisher's nest at a local stream.

Looking up I spotted a couple of delightful young kingfisher that then entertained me and other passing walkers with their diving into the sand and swooping back up to a couple of favourite branches in the pohutukawa tree above.

One such dive nearly ended in disaster as a small boy cycled into one of the kingfisher. I don't know who was more startled as the boy slammed on his brakes. The young boy and young kingfisher were both OK.

Fortunately I didn't miss my ferry connection and also had a fantastic day on Motuihe Island. More about that later