Friday, September 14, 2018

Godwits arrival to Shoal & Ngataringa Bays.

Following a tip- off that four godwit had been seen in Ngataringa Bay by Graham  on  Wednesday the 12th and following my return from the Kaipara I headed out on Thursday morning to find them.

This was timed perfectly with an article that I had been helping  a reporter from the North Shore Times put together and which appeared online the day before.
.
  https://i.stuff.co.nz/environment/106850781/after-12000km-flight-godwits-arrive-in-auckland-bay-to-largescale-developments
      
 As I approached Ngataringa estuary just before high tide I saw two groups of birds take off probably due to the strong winds hitting the shell bank there and so they were flying in the direction  of Shoal bay. I was soon able to locate a small group of South Island pied oystercatcher ( SIPOS) and 10 bar-tailed godwit resting on a shell bank. Later I also found three other godwit on another shell bank also in Shoal Bay.

 The birds looked in remarkably good condition considering their 11.5 thousand kilometre flight from Alaska.



Today I returned to all three shell banks to check them out and the ten godwit were still present as a group with the SIPOS nearby.