Monday, May 27, 2024

Tara iti Hui (NZ Fairy Tern)

It was great to be invited to the Department of Conservation Tara iti Hui at Mangawhai village today. 

Although an early start to drive North to attend I was rewarded with a beautiful sunrise as I arrived at the village library for the meeting.

 A most enjoyable day meeting up with friends some of which I have not seen for a while who are all involved in caring for a variety of habitats and species including our rarest endemic New Zealand bird the Fairy Tern Tara iti.

I also enjoyed the online contribution by Dr. Claire Greenwell from Perth in Western Australia. I have met Claire and enjoyed visiting Australian Fairy Tern sites during many of my visits to Western Australia. Claire is a Marine Scientist and is the Convenor of the Western Australian Fairy Tern Network.