Thursday, April 25, 2013

Duvaucel's Geckos

It was an exciting time to see up close a female translocated Duvaucel's gecko living free in the bush of  Tiritiri Matangi Island. With many thanks to Alaine a researcher from Massey University for sharing her knowledge  to monitor the progress of our largest native geckos.

Using a radio receiver to reach the small transmitter back packs, complete with aerials on the geckos, Alaine could then observe and record where these nocturnal creatures prefer to be.

I added a rifleman to my sightings, its my first up close in fact so close I could not photograph it with the lens I had attached to my camera. Its a diminutive bird that moves extremely fast and although I have heard them on the kawarau track this was my first sighting.
 We also saw little spotted kiwi and heard them too after dark on the Ridge track on our way to search for the geckos.  A large tuatara was in its usual place and I was pleased to be able to get a photo this time as on my last visit he was not visible.

More to follow.................................